Monday, September 28, 2009

the 2009 Common Ground Fair

The annual Common Ground Fair is held in in Unity, Maine every September. It is hosted by MOFGA, the Maine Organic Farmers + Gardeners Association, which Little Falls Farm is certified by. The fair was great, a full throttle organic hippie blow-out. Crafters, the best farmers market you've ever seen, canoe builders, contra dancers, herbalists, bee keepers, compost toilet manufacturers, livestock, organic crop fields, a kids area, live music - if you ever have a change to go, take your shoes off and dive in - it's a 20,000 strong love fest with the good people of Maine. My favorite parts were the animals and class-A people watching.

The masses of fair goers

















With the ladies of High View Farm, the lovely Darcy + Lisa





I love mule





This guy was straight out of Star Wars - I love merino sheep




I love ox




I love Scottish longhorn cattle




I love cows




Does this make my head look bulbous?





Herbal headress




Old timey style contra dancing




Look at her dreads




They dig a big pit, light a fire in the bottom, lower a cast iron kettle of beans into it and cover it back up to cook. They were giving them away for free!




Goodbye Common Ground

1 comment:

Amy's Blog said...

My favorites: Your onion head, and the Scottish Long Horn cow!!!