Sunday, May 9, 2010

Moral Mushroom Festival, Mesick, Michigan

This weekend was the annual Mesick, Michigan morel mushroom festival. Foraging for morels is a Spring past time in this part of Michigan, but where to find the mushrooms is a fiercely guarded secret kept by the locals. It is a huge event with a carnival, parade, and the wierdest event, "The Blessing of the Jeeps". I'm not kidding.


You know this had to be the best 'shroomers party....


I was hipped on where to forage for the little bastards - go as far as I could down a seasonal snowmobile trail in Wexford County. I did, and the road was treacherous. I wasn't the only one who knew about this spot - there were whole families camped out in the woods in trailers and tents, spending days on end looking for morels. I looked for hours, and never found any of the elusive fungi. What I did find deep in the woods though were millions of trillium, the official flower of Ontario, and a species so delicate it is illegal to pick them


So I bought these beauties off of a sour faced, camo clad man in a pick-up who looked like Charles Bronson. He was parked at a gas station with a cardboard sign on his windshield that said MORELS. I bought half a pound off of him, and he gave them to me in a paper lunch bag. Everything about it was like a drug deal.


Dredge in a little flour and cornmeal, salt + pepper, and pan fry in butter. If you've never eaten one (and I hadn't before this weekend), believe the hype: morels are steaky and rich with a deep mushroom flavor, but aren't slimy or wet like portabellas or plain button mushrooms. That honeycomb of their crowns cook up with a unique texture - like tiny delicious sauce compartments. They are worth the effort.


I enjoyed them alongside a vegetarian pastie from Mr. Folsie's Pasties of Cadillac, Michigan. It was absolutely the best meal I've had since being up here. I wish you had been here to share it with me!

2 comments:

RealReldnew said...

"I wish you had been here to share it with me!"

And we wish we were there too! All that smoky, fungussy goodness going to one person...

Things are looking/sounding (and tasting, evidently) great up there.

Amy's Blog said...

Heavy weight horse pulling, mud bog, shroom hunting, jeep blessing, flea market....what more could you ask for! This sounds like heaven to me. Wish I could have been there for the fun.