Saturday, September 18, 2010

first eggs!





I found the first eggs this week!  Here they are, and they weren't even that small as I had heard they would be.  And who was the inaugural egg layer?  Whitey!  She is a Leghorn, the only white egg layer  in the flock.  She didn't lay them in the nesting boxes, rather in a feed trough down under this place where they like to sleep in their coop.  I saw the layers of the brown eggs, because they were sitting in the box beside each other laying them together - Goldie + Red.   It is pure magic to go out and pick up fresh farm eggs from your own hens.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Did Whitey lay 2 in one day?

sue kurta said...

I didn't check the trough where she laid them for few days, so I think I found them after she had laid her first two. An easy way to tell how fresh eggs are is to put them into a pan of water: if they lay on their sides at the bottom of the water, the eggs are very fresh; if they stand upright on the bottom or float, not so fresh.