Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Maine mega road trip


Co-farmer Raquel and I just came back from 6 days down East - driving Detroit to Maine, via my brother Steve's house in the New York finger lakes, to spend 3 days farm sitting at Little Falls, the off-the-grid, solar powered organic eden that belongs to my good friends and mentors John + Mary Belding.  


we have so much to learn from John + Mary


goat breakfast time


cow kisses


with one of my favorite people - Darcy at High View Farm


4 little piggies


Flatbread pizza in Portland - butternut squash, mushroom, mozzarella and parmesan, and a 
honey-balsamic reduction drizzled on top - lord have mercy




what is pizza without some beer?


Sky study, Maine edition

John + Mary attended the annual Maine Organic Farming + Gardening Association Farmer to Farmer conference, which is why we farm-sat at Little Falls.  Working there has been one of the most enriching experiences of my life, and it is why I travel half way across the country to continue to spend time there when I am able.  My Mom + Dad generously watched my own farm while I was away, herding chickens and looking after Bunny Lee.  Raquel and I ended our Maine visit by doing something neither of us had done in years:  drove straight back to Michigan all night, a 1000 mile, 15 hour trip - it was great, we played lots of music and avoided all the traffic.  We love you Maine!






1 comment:

Dahlia said...

I'm so glad you are back! I've been missing your posts and pics!