Sunday, January 5, 2014

take thee a sharp knife



My brother Steve is a talented metalsmith, and made me this knife for Christmas. Then he wrote me this e-mail describing its construction:

"the knife is handmade out of O-1 tool steel.  Hand-forged from a rectangular steel billet  It's a high carbon steel that will naturally rust/oxidize - no sweat. This is normal and expected with hand forged knives.  Rub it with a scrubby pad to knock the surface rust off and dry off after using it and the natural patina will end up being a dull gray/black.  Again, normal. Old-timey knives before stainless steel all do this.  You can sharpen it easily with a kitchen sharpener or stone, or dad's belt sander like he does and that works best.  The handle is a linen/epoxy sandwich called marcita and held on with a clear epoxy and brass handmade rivets.  All the knives I made this year were forged in my crucible forge and on Dad's anvil he had from years ago.  I'll keep making them."

How badass is that.  Plus the duct tape / glove finger sheath.

No comments: