Friday, January 23, 2015

Boss Charcuterie



I have been a vegetarian for 25 years and will never change my diet.  A friend of mine recently killed a deer this past hunting season and asked if I would make her some charcuterie, the type which needs an aging cave to cure.  I was ethically  conflicted about the project, but accepted as I love her and like trying new crafty things in the kitchen.  I live in a  rural place where virtually everyone hunts and eats wild game, so while it was strange to sink my hands into meat, I gave it a go.


Here is a 6 pound link, as well as some smaller pieces of Spanish hunter's sausage, a fermented, cured venison sausage with spices and a hilarious ingredient used in sausage making called 'Fermento'.  Brand new territory for me, I will post pictures of their progress.


No comments: