Wednesday, August 5, 2015

why I am not a Jehovah's Witness




So two middle aged men just came to the farm.  They got out of a red truck wearing ties, and from a distance (I was out in the cheese room) I was sure it was some kind of state drop-in by my dairy inspectors.  One of the guys looked like the bad guy from Diamonds Are Forever (see picture above) and the other one was wearing a walking boot cast.  I asked him what happened to his foot, and he told me he had a diabetic ulcer removed, and he had the worst halitosis.  So disgusting.

They invited me to church and give me a copy of Watchtower, the famed free paper I used to get offered all the time when I lived in Jersey City, where there was a huge Jehovah's Witness church.  I stopped them pretty soon into their pitch and informed them, super politely, that I admired their commitment to their faith to try to inform people about their religion door to door, but that I very conscientiously did not attend church or participate in organized religion of any kind. They were nice about it and didn't try to push me.

For the hell of it, I asked where their church stood on homosexuality.  The foot cast guy said something like this:

Footcast: "We don't HATE gay people, in fact we have some who have been baptized and are Witnesses at our church.  We just require that they be INACTIVE gay people."
Me: "You mean celibate."
Footcast: "Well, yes.  But we don't HATE them.  
Sue: "Well then, I'm afraid you would not welcome me at your church because I have gay family and friends, and take the complete opposite point of view."
Footcast: "We believe that HERTERO (he kept mispronouncing it) sexual intercourse takes place between one man and one woman, as it says in the scriptures.  We adhere very strictly to the scriptures."

So we chatted about cheese making and other light topics and DAF (Diamond Are Forever) told me he was 55 (I asked them both how old they were) and that he was going through MAN-o-pause, that it had contributed to his divorce, that he cried all the time and that he was really self-conscious of having lost his hair.  He believed he lost his hair because he produced too much testosterone and that as he aged, he had hormone imbalance.  He said he worries a lot about what people think of him.

They were nice people, but so misguided and I can't relate to how they think or lead their lives in any way.


No comments: