Friday, May 19, 2017

the attack



Two weeks ago I visited my good friend Laurie's cherry farm up on the Old Mission Peninsula, the land that comprises the Easterly part of the Grand Traverse Bay, in Traverse City, Michigan.  A beautiful place, especially this time of year when all of the fruit trees are in bloom.  Laurie and I took a walk back on their property with the intention of looking for morel mushrooms, but as we walked past the bee hives, we were attacked!  Laurie and I ran for it, but the bees were stuck in our hair, and seemed to be buzzing all around us - it was awful, but also comical.  I had a bee get inside my shirt, which I proceeded to tear off.  We managed to get them off of us, but were both stung several times - and both suffered stings to our heads. Neither of us are allergic, but stings really, really hurt.  In our frenzy of running and trying to brush the attackers off of us, I lost my eyeglasses.  I had just gotten them, and try as we did, we could not find them.  So last week Mom and I returned to the scene of the incident to look again, and this time we came prepared:  here's Mom in a hair net (borrowed from Boss Mouse) which would keep angry bees out of our hair should we be attacked again - and we covered ourselves in bug spray - it worked!  We weren't bothered by bees, but also didn't find the glasses.  Add to Mom's ensemble a purple western-style shirt, and giant red sunglasses that she is wearing over the top of her regular glasses.

Can I get a FASHION-BEES-TA ova here? 
I got your BEAHIVE right here! 




No comments: