Sunday, October 21, 2018

flower spikes


6 months ago I attended a workshop about how to cultivate orchids, something I have tried (and failed) to do for many years.  Friends, we have flower spikes!



I have had this orchid for about a year, and it dropped the last of its blooms a few months ago, only to sprout an enormous new, brontosaurus-like flower spike 


But my real pride is in this little fellow, an orchid I have had for several years, but was caring for all wrong.  He too has sprouted a flower spike (the shoot in the middle right at 12:00) I don't even remember what color this orchid flowers, but I am elated that he is healthy again and flowering

WHAT I LEARNED (the secrets)
1. Light is everything
2. You aren't over-watering, you're under-watering
3. The ice cube thing is complete BS
4. Don't take them in the shower, don't put them under running water
5. Fertilize often
5. Have patience




No comments: