Thursday, October 4, 2012

so long, tough guy



Over the weekend I gave away my rooster Rocky.  I didn't want a rooster in the first place, but when he arrived with the chicks in the Spring and turned out to be a male, I thought I would give him a try, even after my experience with the murderous Penguin earlier this year.  Unfortunately Rocky was no different.  He badly injured Bip, one of the meekest hens (and great egg layer) in the flock, and I decided she probably wouldn't have been the last if I kept him.  The girls are noticeably more at ease without him around, and Bip is on the mend and back out in the hen yard, after several days of hiding from Rocky in the hen house.  I will miss his cock-a-doodle-doos and beautiful strut, but after two genuine efforts to understand and keep roosters, that's it for me.  

No comments: