Friday, October 25, 2013

barnyard update



New feral barn cats Mama and Baba.  Neighbors of my parents trap, fix and release strays, and since my first barn cat Mama moved out, I was in need of some mousers for the coming Winter.  They are small black kitties, a mama cat and her son.  This is them right after being installed in the insulated cat condo that will be their house in the big barn.  I have not seen them since they arrived, but their food is eaten, so I am sure they are in there somewhere.

My hen Blackie, who was sitting on 6 eggs, did not hatch any of them, which makes me think they weren't fertile eggs after all.  She is now trying to hatch a single egg from one of my own hens, so in a few weeks, we should have a chick, maybe.

Poor Rita, the sweet hen I adopted a few weeks ago, died this past weekend.  I don't think she was well when I got her, but at least she enjoyed a few weeks of sunshine and fresh air before she died.  She was a beautiful and sweet hen.

The rabbits are doing fine - they are hearty Winter animals, so while they can go inside the barn at night if they choose, every morning I find them out in the morning frost in the hen yard, waiting for their breakfast.  Licky is super friendly, runs up to greet you like a dog, and loves being held.  They love dried banana chips.

No comments: