Friday, September 20, 2019

The universe was listening



Years ago I was on a flight, and I happened to be in First Class.  I have only flown First a few times in my life, and it was indulgent and special.  The famous rapper Method Man was on the plane, and also in First.  He was well dressed and had a Louis Vuitton carry on bag, which I loved.  I am not big on status pieces or designer labels (unless they're vintage), but there's something really old Hollywood about LV luggage pieces. Anyway, I wanted one ever since, and would never pay retail price, which is thousands of dollars.

A neighbor at the end of my road was having a garage sale today.  These are Kingsley people, country folk, I have the best neighbors I've ever had, but I wouldn't call them worldly.  His sale was good, lots of well organized stuff, and way in the back of the barn, was this LV convertible carry on bag.  A fake for sure, I thought.  It also had a small hole made by a mouse and was full of sunflower seeds, stored by the mouse over the years.  But the more I look it over, I think it's the real thing.

I carried it up to the old man who was having the sale.
Me: "How much?"
Man: "Do you know what that is?"
Me: "Yep, but I think it's a Chinatown fake."
Man: "No it isn't, I paid $1,200.00 for that" (he knew the correct retail price, which would be $2,600.00 today, which is what these cost)
Me: "Oh yeah? Where'd ya get it?"
Man: "Fields down in Jackson" (the old Marshall Fields store in Jackson, Michigan which closed in 1987.  He didn't hesitate)

I believe him.  I bought it for $100.00

I'll have to patch the mouse hole and it needs a cleaning, but I looked up how to spot fake LV items, and it passed all the tests.

I'm so fancy.....you already know!


No comments: