Thursday, April 14, 2011

the chicken murders



Blackie - died Wednesday, April 13

After Buffy getting killed Tuesday, I didn't let the girls out of the hen yard yesterday.  Blackie would always fly up and out of the yard when I kept them inside, and it was the death of her, quite literally.  I found her feathers all over the grass.  Whatever got Buffy came back for more.  I understand fox hunt during the day, while coyote hunt during the night, so I am assuming this is the work of a fox, probably feeding her young.  Needless to say, the hens will be locked inside the barn for a few days, or at least until I can be home while they free range.  For me, this is the toughest part of farming.

1 comment:

Marsh 'n' Jen said...

Pucci lying down on the job?!
Sorry for your losses.
As the old saying goes:
why did the chicken cross the road?
To go to heaven where Col. Sanders and 11 herbs and spices are ground into feed daily.
bock bock!