Monday, September 26, 2011

Amish insulation



My Dad met an Amish couple at the Buckley Old Engine Show last month who were selling jams, baked goods and…insulation.  We need a lot of insulation for the cheese room, so we visited their farm.


Their sad horse Turbo


They had a super friendly dairy goat with no name - I named her GOAT


Best of all:  Ten 1-week old Great Dane puppies


shy sheep

We came away with a few dozen sheets of insulation.  I also talked to the man's wife Naomi and tried to engage her in a conversation about being Amish.  She was sitting in her kitchen in a calico dress and bonnet writing longhand letters.  She was 28 years old and told me she feels Amish is the only true, real religion (all the religions believe this about themselves.)  We talked about cheesemaking, gays in the church (sinners, according to Naomi) and how you connect with God when you work hard on the land (agreed).  Amish people fascinate me and I feel much more open to them that I believe they are towards us.

2 comments:

RealReldnew said...

I got arrested for doing the "robot" dance in an Amish community once...

Timothy Leslie said...

Great Dane Pups.... how cute!!!