Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Go go, Goldie!



Latest fox drama:  the girls got out of the hen yard yesterday - Owl escaped and while I was chasing her, all of the others got out.  I sat outside with them, watching, Pucci was with us - it was late afternoon so I thought we would be fox-free.  An hour later while eating dinner, a neighbor came walking up the driveway letting me know 'you've got a fox chasing your chickens'.  Out we ran, chased it off, and counted the girls - Goldie was missing, and there was a big pile of feathers in the garden.  Down to 9 now.  I lured them all back into the pen with food, locked them up and contemplated my ineptness as a chicken farmer.  Another hour later, I was taking the Honda for a spin back in the woods and around the grounds, and who catches the corner of my eye?  It's Goldie!  She's alive!  She had a few superficial bite wounds and was missing some feathers, but somehow she got away from the fox.  They are locked up in the barn and won't be getting out again any time soon.  I'm seriously contemplating relocating the fox.

1 comment:

Mr. Doodles said...

Go Goldie! What a survivor....