Thursday, July 28, 2011

curing Buffy



It's almost 2 months since Buffy went broody, so I'm trying something different, and exciting, to help her get beyond it.  You can't tell from the picture above, but she is sitting on a dozen fertilized eggs.  You need a rooster in your flock for hens to lay fertile eggs, which I don't have.


But my neighbor Mark (here with daughter Olivia) does - he and his wife run River Valley Poultry Farm, and he brought me one dozen fresh fertile eggs from his chickens - I traded him for some Boss Mouse feta cheese.  He raises several breeds - Isa Browns, Sexlinks (isn't that a weird breed name - it means the boy chicks come out one color and the girls another, unlike other chicks).  So in three weeks time there will be some new additions in the hen yard!  This is a great solution to both satisfy Buffy and replace the hens I lost to the fox this year and last.  Easter in August: baby chicks!

2 comments:

Dahlia said...

Yay Buffy!

Socks said...

Bust a move Buffs!